Unable to start Solr service

U

So, I was installing a fresh instance of Sitecore 9.1 on a new machine. I had installed all the pre-requisites and everything was setup.

While installing SOLR, I followed the usual steps

  1. Download SOLR
  2. Create a Certificate
  3. Update the solr.in.cmd with the certificate information
  4. Installing the service using NSSM

Everything went smoothly but when I tried to run the service, I was greeted with a familiar error:

so first thoughts:

  • Java Run time not installed.
  • JAVA_HOME variable not setup.

After verifying both of these things, I started debugging the issue.

During debugging, I noticed that the SOLR was running with SSL when I manually started SOLR through command prompt.

Interestingly, the command prompt itself was a behaving abnormally, throwing errors like

'findstr' is not recognized as an internal or external command
'sc' is not recognized as an internal or external command

a few google searches and I found out that the PATH environmental variable was missing in the system. This should not happen by default but someone might have deleted it unknowingly. I added the PATH variable manually by pointing it to Windows\System32 folder and yay! the service was up and running.

About the author

Shamsher Singh Dhillon

Add comment

By Shamsher Singh Dhillon

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Archives